Monday, October 18, 2010

Picton to Auckland

I wasn’t sure whether I should hang around in Wellington for the day so I could get the car fixed on Monday or head straight to Tongariro National Park, which was around 450K away. After chatting to the hostel owner in Picton, who seemed to know a thing or two about cars and reading up online, I decided to push on and drive to Tongariro.

The purpose of stopping at Tongariro was to do the Tongariro Crossing, one of NZ’s great day walks and to do a day’s riding at Mt Raupehau. The good news was the car made it, the bad news was the weather meant snowboarding and the crossing wouldn’t be possible for a few days so in the morning I would be Auckland bound. This was the second time I have tried to do the crossing and have been stopped by the weather. Liv and I spent three days here back in April. Funnily enough I bumped into a guy called Doug that I was travelling on the Stray Bus with and decided to stay and work at the hostel for a couple of months with his girlfriend, Jenny. 6 months later they were still here and planning to stay for several more months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment