Thursday, October 7, 2010

Milford Sound

So after just over 4 months it was time to leave Queenstown and head back to Auckland via a massive road trip. I am traveling on my own so petrol will be expensive but I’m looking forward to doing what I want, when I want.
The entry to Milford.
First stop was Milford Sound. So for the boring part…… Milford Sound was created by ice falling off the glaciers and caving through the rock. The highest peak is around 1600 meters above sea level and the deepest part of the sound is around 400 meters. I travelled Milford by boat with Southern Discoveries. The trip took around 2 hours and was an awesome experience. You are constantly surrounded my massive mountains and due to the amount of rain everything is very lush, green, fresh and there are lots of big waterfalls. It is one of those places that you keep reaching for your camera to take pictures.

On the way back we stopped at an underwater observatory. As the Sounds gets so much rain a layer of between 4 and 6 meters sits on top of the sea water. The fresh water filters out the sun so deep sea coral and fish can live in relatively shallow waters. The observatory takes you down 30 meters and gives you an insight into the depths of the sound. I really enjoyed the day, the scenery was beautiful and it was nice to kick back, relax and know work is a few weeks away.

 Click here to view more photos of Milford Sound.  

No comments:

Post a Comment